Monday, February 11, 2013

Painful Susan

**Please read the post below and vote on our door color!  Nic is *not* even close to being convinced that black is a good choice.  I'll be forced to just paint them myself when he's out of town or something....**


The previous owner of our home {she had it built}, had a lazy susan in the corner of the kitchen.  Pretty common, right?

Well, then at some point she had a dishwasher installed.  A definite upgrade, but our kitchen is pretty tiny, so the only place to put it was next to the stove, cutting into the lazy susan.


So now there is a verrrry awkward cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher.  It has the tiniest opening, but it's a pretty big cupboard once you get inside.


Right now, I shove a ton of stuff in there:  glass pans, pots, pans, miscellaneous baking dishes/pans, and sometimes muffin tins or bread pans.  It's such a pain {literally}.  I'm always smashing my fingers trying to get stuff in the opening, and it's totally trashed because organizing it really isn't an option.

So what should i do?  I've thought about just closing it off and making another skinny cupboard for cookie sheets and cutting boards {I could definitely use one}, but I worry that I'd miss the space.  We're adding a little bit more cupboard space in the renovation, but not a ton.

I've Pinterested around {totally a legit word}, and I can't find anything that really utilizes the whole space.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. We have a skinny cupboard for cookie sheets, etc. and it rocks my world. I didn't even remember this house having it until we moved in. Now it's my favorite thing! It's so easy to get to them vertically versus having them nestled inside of each other on a shelf/drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I would do if this wee my kitchen: either find some sort of wire organizer or build a divider that attaches to the back of the cabinet that would help cookie sheets or cutting boards stand up against the right side of the cabinet, and have a small turntable, carousel, lazy Susan type device in the corner portion, something like this one- http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20136564/ You would just need to be sure your vertical storage doesn't take up too much space horizontally so you can access the carousel.

    ReplyDelete