Thursday, May 9, 2013

New Backsplash!

Oh, this brings me such joy.  The backsplash in this kitchen has been a source of frustration since we moved in.  First, it was nothing.  Just painted drywall.  Then we hung beadboard.  Not bad, but got super dirty super fast.  Then we put up these stainless steel subway tiles:


Not terrible, and I liked the way they looked with the dark granite.  From day one, we've really just wanted white subway tiles.  7 years ago, though, they were brand-new and super expensive {at least for us}.

So I nearly fell off my chair a few weeks ago when I realized how inexpensive they are now.  And then, I fell in love with some marble subway tile at Lowe's.  Ohhhhh, I loved it.  It took a few days {and some googling of pictures} to convince Nic, but finally I got the go-ahead.

Once I saved up enough, we skipped into Lowe's, only to discover that they were sold out.  Cue the almost-tears.  On a whim, we went next door to Home Depot {so convenient!} and found that they had the same thing, only cheaper.  Win!

After a few days of tiling, grouting, and caulking, behold:



And because two pictures of the same room aren't enough...


I can't get over it.  It literally takes my breath away every time I walk into the kitchen.  Here's a before/after of when we started, to where we are now:


I get that this probably doesn't seem like a huge difference to most people, but dang it, we love it and are so proud of ourselves!


2 comments:

  1. I love it Abbey!! We are going to be doing the backsplash in our kitchen ourselves and this is great inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it really opens things up! love it.

    ReplyDelete